When traveling around Malaysia, the explorer inside you must be itching to discover places known only to a few. We bring in light the Hidden Gem of Malaysia, Kuala Selangor Beach, commonly known as ‘Sky Mirror’ or ‘Mirror of the Sky’. This beauty is uncharted on the world map because the island only emerges twice a Lunar month, when the tide is ideal. Some even say that this ‘Secret Island’ is Malaysia’s own ‘Salar de Uyuni’, named after the similar natural wonder in Bolivia.
The Kuala Selangor Beachor Sasaran is located 1.74 nautical miles off the coast of the fishing village of Jeram, Selangor, in the middle of the Straits of Malacca Sea. It’s about an hour drive from Kuala Lumpur.
Best time to visit
One of the most prominent factors for deciding whether to visit this beauty or not, is the time of the month you’re visiting. This island emerges only twice a Lunar month, during new moon and full moon. There is a margin of 3-5 days before and after either of the two.
How to reach
There are several tour companies organizing the tour to the Sky Mirror. Several locals host tour packages online, even on Facebook. The actual tour starts from Jeram in Kuala Selangor, mostly having two packages to choose from, full-day or half-day trip.The trip starts from 8-10 AM and ends at 12-2 PM.
One can reach Jeram by taxi from Kuala Lumpur which takes about an hour.
Places to explore
The natural mirror reflects the entire sky and can be used quite intelligently for photography and selfies, a heaven for professional photographers, really! It is a habitat to a wide variety of marine life mostly consisting of sea clams and baby clams. These clams feel like diamonds on the beach and might be emitting blue lights as the sun goes down, what a beautiful sight to witness!
Although the island is located offshore, there are a few landmarks you can enjoy while taking the round trip.
- Melawati Hill once used to be an administrative center for the Selangor Sultanate around 18th and 19th Bukit Melawati is a designated monument and historical site. The top of the hill offers a breathtaking view of the entire Selangor coastline. This hill is full of monkeys, so you might as well spend some time there getting entertained by them.
- Tamam Alam or Kuala Selangor Nature Park consists of around 200 acres of coastal land. It consists of different landscapes. The mangrove forest in the Natural Park is home to hundreds of eagles.
Other tourist attractions might include Kuala Selangor Museum,the unique 100-year old Indian temple at Bukit Rotan, Sasaran Art Park, Jeram Herbal Farm, which you can visit to make the most out of your trip.
There are not many hotel options available here, but there are several homestay options. You can choose a trip with overnight stay, costing around RM 350.
Where and what to eat
One can enjoy fresh oysters served with lemon wedges at Altingsburg lighthouse at Jeram. There are several eateries here, serving authentic Malaysian seafood preparations.
Things to keep in mind
- Wear sharp colored clothes to the beach, it’s perfect for a good photograph.
- The best and the safest time to visit during the visibility period of the island is from 7 AM to 2 PM.
- Book the trip beforehand as the boat might be full before leaving, and your trip would end up being wasted.
Check thoroughly before leaving for the trip, as it gets canceled during