Genting Highlands acknowledged as Malaysia’s premier hillside station, lies in the Main Range or BanjaranTitiwangsa. The hill station is approximately 1800m above the sea level, so you might as well experience cloud nine, or ten, eleven, twelve,for that matter! If Las-Vegas seems like a far-fetched dream to you party-pros, worry not. Genting Highlands is Malaysia’s Asian-style Vegas with its Vegas-style casinos and much more. But, that’s not it. There so much do in this ‘City of Entertainment’ that you might not even want to leave, like ever!
Genting Highlands is located in Pahang, to the north of Kuala Lumpur taking only around an hour’s drive to reach.
Best time to visit:
Being a hill station, the temperature here is never really very high and it might as well be a year-round destination. Though, March to September would be a better choice considering the unpredictable rain. If you are not a big fan of cold weather, visit in the months of May, June, July.
How to reach:
Reaching Genting Highlands is really easy, with way too many options.
- If you are a budget traveler or an explorer who loves to enjoy the views, get the two-way ticket from Kuala Lumpur Sentral, which includes cable-car for Genting Skyway. It takes around RM 20 for the entire trip.
- You can also take the direct bus from the Kuala Lumpur Airport to Genting.
- There are options to hire a taxi or rent a car, with a few different ways to get there. If you’re choosing this option, it’s better to go in groups so you can split the total cost.
Places to explore:
While you’re here, don’t forget to visit these places, each having its own charm.
- Awana Horse Ranch
- Butterfly Wonderland
- Genting Casino
- Genting Club Casino
- Chin Swee Caves Temple
- Genting Highlands Mountainside
- Genting Skyway
- Genting Strawberry Leisure Farm
- Happy Bee Farm Genting
- Kuala Gandah Elephant Conservation Centre
- Lim Goh Tong Memorial Hall
- Picture House Cinema Genting
- SeniKomePéngHēng East Coast Arts & Cultural Centre
- SkyCasino Genting
- SkySymphony Genting
- The Arena of Stars
- Vision City Video Games Park
- World of Phalaenopsis (Orchid Farm)
You might as well be lucky enough to witness the 20th Century Fox movie-inspired Theme Park live, which is planned to be opened by the end of 2018.
Being a tourist hub, famous for its resorts, there is a wide variety of options for accommodation, ranging from 3 to 5-star hotels.The First World Hotel, a 3-star hotel earned Guinness World record twice (2006 and 2013) for being the World’s Largest Hotel. Resorts World Genting has several other hotels each providing their best services.
What and Where to eat:
Trust us, your stomach and (your budget too, probably) might not be enough to hold the options here. A foodie shall never be disappointed here. From authentic French flagship, Café Richard, to Malaysian Food Street, which boasts of 5 zones and around 20 stalls, sorted according to the Cities and Countries, the Genting Highlands has it all!
Did you know:
The Genting Highlands was founded by Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong. He got the idea of hill resort when he visited Cameron Highlands in 1963, while enjoying the fresh and crisp-cool mountain air from his hotel window.
Things to keep in mind:
- There are several ATM’s available in the Highlands, but most of the transactions here are cash-oriented, so keep enough with you since there might be withdrawal limit and a little charge per transaction.
- Almost all the telecom companies providing a network in Kuala Lumpur have availability in Genting too.